Thursday 21 May 2015

2015: Musical Theatre Audition #4: LSMT

The fifth, and final, of this years drama school auditions was for LSMT (London School of Musical Theatre )- if you hadn't worked that out from the title already! The first round is pretty unremarkable, but slightly different to other schools, in that you only sing. After singing your two songs, the panel will decide if they want to recall you and they (as far as I know) will tell you if they want to give you a recall that same day.

The recall stage was pretty similar to the first rounds at other schools. I sang my two songs first, and as I was losing my voice it was not fantastic. Not as bad as it could have been, but I was running at about 60% capacity, so it was nowhere near the performance I would like to have given. Still, it was much worse when I woke up that morning so I am relieved it went as well as it did.

After singing, I performed a (modern) monologue, and then some people were asked to sight read an extract from a novel (these were provided by LSMT on the day). We were then free to go until the dance component of the audition, which took place that afternoon. As usual, I tried my best in dance and pretended to be enthusiastic about the routine, despite getting about half of it wrong. It was a (very) quick routine to "Thoroughly Modern Millie", followed by a few corner exercises to check our technique. As usual there was a real mix of dancing levels, from the clearly trained to the even-worse-than-me, so don't let that intimidate you from auditioning, if that's the fear that's holding you back.

LSMT don't give too much info on their website, but I think the application deadline is in March, with the last first round auditions taking place in April. Currently, you have to apply by post, so make sure you allow plenty of time to apply before the deadlines.

LSMT let you know the result of the deadline via post, a couple of days after the audition. Unfortunately my letter was a no, but I wasn't too disappointed.

I guess this concludes my posts on the actual events of the auditions for now, but I'm going to continue writing about my journey and advice that I have picked up on the way. Keep reading for more stagey-ness!

Thank you so much to all of you for tuning in!

the postgrad-app  

No comments:

Post a Comment